Visa and residency permit applications may be processed only by Austrian immigration authorities (MA 35) (opens in new tab).

Webster Vienna Private University is not allowed to give legal advice, apply on behalf of, or represent students in the visa/residence permit application process. The outcome of the application process is the decision of the Austrian immigration authorities alone.

Webster Vienna Private University cannot cover consultation fees with legal professionals or the application process. However, WVPU is able to provide recommendations for professional legal assistance. For all inquiries on legal assistance, send an email to or call +43 1 269 9293 4355.

Alternatively, prospective students can directly contact the Austrian Student Union or OeH, or if possible, come during office hours to the Office of Foreign Students (opens in new tab). This consultation is free of charge to students who will attend or are currently attending universities in Austria. Visit OEH (opens in new tab) for office hours, languages spoken and contact details.

Sample (muster) of student residency permit that is needed for going to school in Austria

Important: Please make sure you know exactly how many days are left in your visa-free stay or on your Schengen short-stay visa. Those who overstay may find it hard to receive a visa or residence permit in the future. Use the online calculator (opens in new tab) to determine the number of remaining days allowed in the Schengen territories.

Find the address of Austrian embassies in each country or region (opens in new tab).

For those who wish to apply at the immigration office in Vienna, please see the address and office hours of the MA35 central office in Vienna at Magistratsabteilung (MA) 35 Wien (opens in new tab).

Appointments must be made ahead of time using the MA35 online booking systems (opens in new tab).

Refer to the OeAD (opens in new tab) for the most up-to-date information.

  1. Application form for a student residence permit (opens in new tab) in German ("Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltsbewilligung — Student").
  2. Valid travel document (e. g., passport) — ideally should be valid for at least 1.5 years upon application.
  3. Current biometric passport photo (opens in new tab) — the photo can be no older than 6 months. 
  4. *Birth certificate or other equivalent document — with Apostille (opens in new tab) or diplomatic certification.
  5. Legal proof of adequate accommodation (e.g., proof of ownership, lease or rental agreement).
  6. Document showing the monthly rent and/or running costs of the accommodation (shown on rental contract).
  7. Proof of health insurance valid in Austria and covering all risks — travel health insurance before you arrive in Vienna, and once you are already in Vienna, you can get public health insurance through the state — student self-insurance from the ÖGK (opens in new tab) - or sign up for private health insurance options recognized by the MA35 immigration authorities — these private options are offered by external insurance agencies like FeelSafe (opens in new tab) and CareMed (opens in new tab).
  8. Proof of sufficient means of subsistence in Austria (e.g., bank account statements, proof of regular payments made to a bank account fully accessible from Austria). Prescribed minimum amounts (excluding accommodation costs and tuition fees): persons under 24 years of age must prove income or available funds of at least EUR 7357.92 for 1 year (EUR 613.16 per month); persons over 24 years of age must prove income or available funds of at least EUR 13323.12 for 1 year (EUR 1110.26 per month).
  9. Proof of source of funds (for example: certificate of employment with salary information from student or parents, pay slips, loan confirmation from a bank, official financial aid or scholarship confirmation). If your parents or relatives are funding your studies, please submit their employment documents with salary information.
  10. For first-time applications (opens in new tab), in addition to the above, please submit:
    • 10.1 *Police clearance certificate (Auszug aus dem Strafregister (opens in new tab)): no older than three months with Apostille (opens in new tab) or diplomatic authentication from your country of origin.
    • 10.2 Notice of admission by the university or other institution of higher education ("Aufnahmebestätigung" or "Zulassungsbescheid") — this is the acceptance letter from the Admissions Office.
    • 10.3 Proof of a travel health insurance (covering costs of at least EUR 30000, costs for treatment of the COVID-19 disease and guarantee to cover possible recovery and repatriation costs) valid in the Schengen area for the period between entering Austria and e.g. the start of coverage within the student insurance in Austria. Students who have not yet arrived in Austria can sign up with health insurance providers such as FeelSafe (opens in new tab) and CareMed (opens in new tab)
  11. For extensions or renewals:
    • 11.1 Proof of academic success (Studienerfolgsnachweis) during the previous academic year, confirmation of your continuing university enrollment or notification/confirmation of admission of an Austrian higher education institution for another degree program after completion of a degree program in Austria
    • 11.2 Current extract from the files of an officially recognized credit reference agency, such as the Kreditschutzverband - KSV 1870 Information GmbH (opens in new tab).
  12. Only if applicable: Declaration of Liability (Haftungserklärung (opens in new tab)) accompanied by an income statement and statement of monthly expenditures of the person vouching for the applicant.
  13. Only if applicable: *Marriage certificate; *Civil partnership certificate; *Divorce certificate; *Certificate of dissolution of a civil partnership; *Adoption certificate and *Documents proving family relationships.

* These documents must be certified by diplomatic certification or Apostille (opens in new tab). In some cases, additional documents may be required.

** Documents issued in a language other than German must be filed together with a official German translations (issued by a certified court translator).


  • Basic fee: 160 euros (120 euros when submitting the application, 20 euros when the permit is granted, and 20 euros fee for the collection of police identification data)
  • Additionally for foreign civil status documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, civil union certificate) depending on the type of document: 3.90 euros, 7.20 euros or 14.30 euros

You will receive the residence permit after payment of the fee. You may pay these fees in cash or electronically by credit or debit card.

For any questions regarding payment, please contact the accounting department (Buchhaltungsabteilung 40 - in German only) (opens in new tab) of Municipal Department 6.

Forms and General Information

Frequently Asked Questions (Austrian Ministry of Interior) (opens in new tab)

To-Do List Upon Arrival in Vienna

Mandatory Residence Registration (Meldezettel/Meldebestätigung) (opens in new tab)

If you move to Austria from abroad or if you move to a new home within Austria, you need to register ("anmelden") your new address within three days of moving in. The property management ("Hausverwaltung"), owner or lessor of the house or flat you live in will not do this for you, but they will need to sign the form before you submit this to the authorities.

If you move out of a flat or house, you need to de-register ("abmelden") within three days before or after moving out.

You can register or de-register at any Residence Registration Service Centre (Meldeservicestelle) in Vienna. Book an appointment using the online reservation tool (German only) (opens in new tab).

Austrian Bank Account

We do not recommend any specific bank, but the biggest banks are listed below for information on personal/student bank accounts.


Health Insurance

Public Student Health Insurance through the Austrian Health Fund (ÖGK) (opens in new tab)

The Österreichische Gesundheitskasse (ÖGK) provides the standard state health insurance most Austrian citizens have. The OeGK has a student self-insurance option that is both affordable (approximately 65 euros per month) and widely accepted. The application form (only in German) (opens in new tab) may be submitted to the ÖGK Vienna Office, Wienerbergstraße 15-19, 1100 Vienna. For questions, email or call +43 5 0766-112700.

Private Student Health Insurance through Feel Safe

  • 100% accepted for visa/residence permit applications and full access to the unique and innovative direct billing network (LARA)
  • 100% from Austria; partner of the biggest health insurance provider in Austria (UNIQA)
  • Client office in the center of Vienna: Bäckerstrasse 7, 1010 Vienna
  • All process handled entirely in Austria (personal data, health data, insurance cases, refunds)

Private Student Health Insurance through CareMed

  • Online enrollment and security
  • Versatile all-round protection
  • Coverage & quality
  • Worldwide assistance service


EU/EEA Citizens Registration Certificate (Anmeldebescheinigung) (opens in new tab)

If you are an EU or EEA staying in Austria for more than three months, you have to inform the competent residence authority in Austria in person and apply for a confirmation of registration (Anmeldebescheinigung) within four months of your arrival. Application procedure for the EU/EEA Registration Certificate (opens in new tab).

Learn More

Founded in 1915, Webster University is committed to ensuring high-quality learning experiences that transform students for global citizenship and individual excellence. Prepare for your next step and explore our community resources.

News and Events

Connect with Us